Tropical Cyclone Yasi crossed the Queensland Coast around Midnight AEST, with the township of Tully taking the full brunt of the storm. Preliminary reports state that there have been no casualties reported at this stage, although there has been flooding due to storm surges and extensive structural damage to some buildings.
Three new babies entered the world during the hight of the storm and all three and their mothers are doing well.
At this point, emergency services have only just managed to gain access to the hardest hit areas, and have yet to make contact with everyone to confirm all are safe.
I’ll keep posting as I hear more.
- Devastating Cyclone Yasi hits land (bbc.co.uk)
- Australia: Cyclone Yasi Strikes Queensland Coast (nowpublic.com)
- Yasi takes aim down under (dailykos.com)
- Remarkable weather map of Cyclone Yasi (lostateminor.com)
- CYCLONE Yasi a massive category 5 storm (conservationreport.com)
- Cyclone Yasi on Google Maps (googlemapsmania.blogspot.com)